The following material is an adaptation of the starship design from
the Japanese TV series MACROSS
(which became Robotech here in the U.S.). Please feel free to use, copy, and
distribute it as you see fit. All I ask is that you give proper credit to me
and do not claim that it is your own work. Comments and suggestions are
Special thanks to Iqbal Bhatti (email@example.com) for pictures
for and help with this design.
ALIEN STAR SHIP ONE
(pre-crash SDF-01 MACROSS stats)
RPG Stats by DAVE DEITRICH
Background info provided by the
MACROSS ONLINE COMPENDIUM
On July 1st, 1999, the destiny of humanity was changed forever when a huge
meteor from space crashed into South Ataria Island in the southern Pacific
Ocean. Upon investigation by the United Nations, the "meteor" was in fact
determined to be an alien spacecraft, representing mankind's first contact
with an intelligent species from beyond the planet. Over the next 10 years
the spacecraft (named Alien Star Ship 1, or ASS-1) was
excavated, disassembled, studied, reverse-engineered, and eventually rebuilt
and renamed the SDF-01 Macross. The Macross has become the most famous
ship in human history and is singularly responsible for mankind's emergence as
a galactic power.
Initially the UN Spacy knew very little about the ASS-1, even after 10 years
of study. The spacecraft was an interstellar warship of some kind and
contained a great deal of advanced technology that was far beyond what
humanity had even speculated. Furthermore, the ASS-1 contained accommodations
for what seemed to be two different humanoid races; one human-sized, and one
over 50 feet (15 m) tall! The advanced technology (called Over
Technology) was therefore used to develop weapon systems capable of
combatting a race of giants, eventually leading to the Variable Fighter and
Main Battle Robot combat mecha.
Following the end of Space War 1 Earth formed an alliance with the
Zentraedi, and Zentraedi minister Exedore Formo was able to provide more clues
as to the origin of the ASS-1. The crashed ship was one of a class of
fold-capable battleships used by the Inspection Army, a force of
protocultures who engaged the Stellar Republic in a galactic civil war
which eventually led to the destruction of nearly all protocultures in the
galaxy. The Inspection Army were actually protocultures whose minds were
controlled by the Protodeviln, a race of super-powerful beings
possessing trans-dimensional powers. Although Exedore referred to the ASS-1
as a "late model" battleship, most stellar archaeologists feel that the
design of the fortress pre-dates the emergence of the Protodeviln and the
mental takeover of the Inspection Army forces, as ships later used by the
Protodeviln in the UN Spacy/Varuta war differed greatly from the ASS-1's
Assuming that the ASS-1 is one of the original battleships used by the
Inspection Forces and not a reproduction, the ship would be between 350,000
and 400,000 earth years old. The history of the ship between the fall of the
Inspection Army and its crash-landing on Earth is a mystery. When the ship
arrived at Earth it was being pursued the Zentraedi Vrlitwhai Fleet, which had
been tasked with finding any remaining traces of the
Inspection Army forces and eliminating them. The Vrlitwhai Fleet detected
traces of the ASS-1's defold reaction and came to Earth to investigate. Upon
the fleet's arrival the ASS-1/SDF-01 automatically opened fire on them,
leading to the start of Space War 1. Whether the ASS-1 was being used
by descendants of the Inspection Army or another humanoid race somewhere in
the galaxy prior to its crash on Earth is unknown.
During the UN Spacy's Zentraedi Factory Satellite recapture operation in July,
2012, Vrlitwhai Kridanik's flagship detected a spacewreck of a ship very
similar in design to the original ASS-1. Although Captain Misa Hayase argued
for investigating the wreck at the cost of delaying the mission, Vrlitwhai
decided to ignore the ship, fearing that it may be a trap set by rogue
Zentraedi forces. A UN Spacy task force dispatched later to salvage the ship
failed to find the wreck after extensively searching at and near the
coordinates Vrlitwhai reported. The location of the wreck (if it even still
exists) is currently unknown. Since 2012 no UN Spacy colony missions or
combat fleets have reported encountering any craft (wrecked or otherwise)
similar to the original ASS-1.
- Vehicle Type: Super Dimensional Battle Fortress (Original
Designation: Inspection Army Gunboat)
Government: Inspection Army (Protoculture)
Manufacturer: Inspection Army
- Estimated 15,000 Protocultures and 4,000 full-sized Zentraedi. Exact
complement and breakdown of crew are unknown.
Notable Ships of Class:
- Alien Starship 01 (original construction date unknown,
crashed on Earth on July 1, 1999. Rebuilt by UN Spacy and renamed SDF-01
- Alien Starship 02 (unofficial name for a similar starship
wreck detected by Vrlitwhai Kridanik's flagship during the Factory Satellite
Capture Operation. Location of wreckage currently unknown.)
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Forward 1/3 of Ship (Heavy Particle Cannon) 10,000
(2) Middle 1/3 of Ship (Crew Quarters, Landing Bays) 15,000
(2) Rear 1/3 of Ship (Main Engines, Engineering) 20,000
(3) Command Tower 5,000
(3) Sensor Array (behind Command Tower) 1,000
Left Weapon Cluster 5,000
Right Weapon Cluster 5,000
(4) Main Thrusters (6) 5,000 each
(4) Secondary Thrusters (12) 500 each
(4) Maneuvering Thrusters (48) 50 each
Heavy Laser Cannons (4) 1,000 each
Secondary Beam Turrets (8) 750 each
Retractable Laser Turrets (100) 75 each
Airlocks/Access Hatches (150) 200 each
Armored outer hull (per 40ft area) 300
Interior walls (per 20ft area) 20
(5) Energy Barrier 100,000
- Depleting the MDC of the forward 1/3 of the ship will destroy the main
weapon of the battlecruiser, the heavy particle cannon. The cannon will
cease to function when the forward part of the ship has taken over 5,000
points of damage. When the damage to the forward part reaches 10,000 MDC,
the cannon is destroyed beyond any hope of repair.
- Depleting the MDC of the middle 1/3 or the rear 1/3 of the ship will
destroy the battlecruiser. All power systems, thrusters, weapon systems,
and life support will fail, and (2d4x10)% of the crew will be killed
instantly by explosions, debris, and loss of atmosphere. The ship will
be an unsalvageable wreck (though the spacewreck may still be valuable
because of the technology contained within the remains).
- Destroying the command tower will instantly kill the command staff and
deprive the ship of all forms of long range communications, radar and
targeting. The range and targeting capabilities of the secondary systems
are equal to that of a VF-11 Thunderbolt
fighter. The ship can still operate, but is at -3 on initiative, -3
to strike, and number of attacks per melee of the weapon systems are
reduced by half. Destroying the main sensory array on top of the command
tower will have the same effect, but the command staff will not be killed
- Depleting the MDC of the main thrusters will force the ship to rely on its
secondary thrusters. Depleting the MDC of the main AND secondary
thrusters will leave the ship adrift in space. In an atmosphere, the
battlecruiser will still be able to land using antigravity engines but
will not be able to take off again.
- When activated, the Energy Barrier forms a sphere around the battle
fortress that can absorb up to 100,000 MDC in a single round. If damaged
or destroyed, the sphere regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MDC per melee
round. See the Energy Barrier System entry below
for details. The barrier will cease to function if either the middle 1/3
or rear 1/3 of the ship takes damage over 50% of its MDC capacity.
- Speed (Sublight): 0.24 speed of light (38,400 miles per second)
Speed (Auxiliary Drives): Mach 2.0
Speed (Space Fold): 1 light year every 6 minutes
- Can land and take off if necessary but not designed to maneuver in an
atmosphere for extended periods of time.
- Maximum Range: Unlimited (estimated life span unknown)
Length: 3,960 ft (1,200 m)
Width: 1,320 ft (400 m)
Height: 1,188 ft (360 m)
Weight: 21,000,000 tons (standard)
- Fold System:
- Protoculture Fold System Cluster
- Sublight Drive:
- Protoculture/Inspection Army Impulse Drive Cluster
- Gravity Control System: Internal
- Inspection Army Rocket Motor Cluster
- Sensor System: Protoculture Advanced Tracking Cluster
- HEAVY PARTICLE CANNON: The most powerful weapon of the
battlecruiser is a heavy particle cannon very similar to the one used by
Zentraedi Nupetiet-Vernitzs command cruisers and other larger Zentraedi
warships. The weapon fires a beam up to 120,000 miles (192,000 km) long
and 2 miles (3.2 km) wide that essentially destroys EVERYTHING in its
path. The disadvantage of the weapon is the tremendous power it
consumes. Once fired, the cannon takes a full 5 MINUTES (20 melee
rounds) to recharge.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Heavy Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- RANGE: 60,000 miles (96,000 km) in an atmosphere. Double in
- DAMAGE: Destroys EVERYTHING in its path, regardless of MDC and
movement. The only way to avoid obliteration is to avoid being in the
path of the beam! If used against a planet, the beam causes
3D6x1,000,000 MD (!), leaving only a radioactive crater 2D6x10 miles
long and 3D6x100 feet deep. The resulting shockwave will also cause
substantial damage to surrounding terrain for an additional 1D6x10
miles from the edge of the crater. (Note: A sufficiently
strong force field can deflect/absorb the beam if necessary. Examples
of such fields include multiple pinpoint barrier shields layered on
top of each other and barriers generated by stronger Protodeviln
beings. A force field must have AT LEAST 20,000 MDC capacity before
it can resist a heavy particle beam of this magnitude.)
- RATE OF FIRE: Once per 5 minutes (20 melees).
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
- HEAVY LASER CANNONS (4): As backup for the heavy particle cannon,
the battle fortress is armed with four heavy laser cannons, also similar
to those used on Zentraedi warships. These lasers were damaged beyond
repair on the ASS-1, and were replaced with rail cannons during the
rebuilding of the starship.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- RANGE: 5,000 miles (8,040 km) in an atmosphere. Double in
- DAMAGE: 1D6x1000 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: Each cannon can fire once per round.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
- SECONDARY BEAM TURRETS (8): The battlecruiser is armed with several
large beam turrets at key locations along the hull, giving the fortress
additional punch in close to medium ship-to-ship combat. These turrets
can only fire along limited arcs, and only a maximum of four cannons can
be brought to bear on a single target at any given time.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Ship-to-Ship Defense
- RANGE: 100 miles (160 km) in an atmosphere. Double in
- DAMAGE: 2D4x100 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: Each turret can fire once per round.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
- RETRACTABLE LASER TURRETS (120): As a final line of defense, the
battle fortress has retractable laser turrets mounted at various
strategic places along the hull. These short-range lasers were
apparently intended primarily for anti-aircraft and anti-mecha defense,
but can do moderate damage against enemy spacecraft if they get too
close. When not in use gun turrets are concealed within the hull
underneath a sliding hatch. At most 20 lasers can be brought to bear on
a single target.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-Aircraft
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Defense
- RANGE: 30 miles (48.2 km) in an atmosphere. Double in
- DAMAGE: 1D6x20 M.D. each. Several lasers can be directed to
fire in volleys of 3 or more. A volley of 3 beams does 3D6x20 M.D.,
a volley of 6 beams does 6D6x20 M.D., and so on. A full volley of 20
beams aimed at a single target does 4D6x100 M.D. (!) if it hits.
- RATE OF FIRE: Each laser can fire once per melee, and can be
combined in any volley combination of 3 or more lasers, up to 20
lasers. Volleys can be directed at different targets.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
- OMNIDIRECTIONAL BARRIER DEFENSE SYSTEM: One unique system of the
ASS-1 that the Zentraedi fleet lacked is an energy barrier defense system
that completely encircles the battle fortress in a nearly-impregnable
force field sphere. The disadvantage of the barrier system is that no
weapons can be fired, nor any fighters/support craft launched or
recovered while the shield is up.
Although this system was nearly destroyed in the crash of the ASS-1, UN
Spacy researchers were able to study and reverse-engineer the system,
eventually leading to the development of the Pinpoint Barrier
System that is now standard on most UN Spacy spacecraft and
fighters. The engineers also succeeded in rebuilding the shattered barrier
generator onboard the SDF-01, but unfortunately due to a flaw in the
system the barrier overloaded during its first use, completely destroying
the North American Ontario Quadrant. Because of this disastrous mishap
and other problems the omnidirectional barrier system has not been
approved yet for general use on UN Spacy spaceships.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense (the omnidirectional barrier system
cannot be used as a weapon)
- RANGE: The barrier generates a spherical force field with a
radius of 3000 ft (910 m) around the exact center of the ship.
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: Can sustain up to 100,000 MD in a single
round. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
- PAYLOAD: Nearly inexhaustible. Will work as long as system is
functional (see below) and engines are intact. If main engines are
destroyed, the barrier will loose power and not function.
- NOTE: The barrier can deflect a heavy particle beam attack,
such as the one generated by the SDF-01 Macross, Zentraedi/Varuta
command warships, and some Protodeviln. When hit by a heavy particle
beam the shield will take 25,000 MDC damage, with the rest of the
beam being deflected around the shield.
SYSTEMS OF NOTE:
- ANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION SYSTEM: The ASS-1 was equipped with an
anti-gravity propulsion system used for planetary landings and liftoffs.
The system is good for vertical ascent/descent only and can lift the ship at
speeds of up to 1,320 feet (400 m) per minute. The system will function so
long as the main energy system (in the rear 1/3 of the ship) can supply
energy to it. (Note: The first time this system was used on the SDF-01
the antigrav generators tore away from the ship. The generators were later
replaced and the areas around them were structurally enforced to prevent a
repeat of the disaster.)
- HYPERSPACE COMMUNICATIONS: The original ASS-1 was equipped with a
hyperspace communications relay allowing faster-than-light communication
between the ships and other Inspection Army forces. This system was heavily
damaged in the crash of the ASS-1 and could not be salvaged. The UN Spacy did
not develop hyperspace communications until after the end of Space War 1 when
scientists and technicians were able to examine similar systems aboard
captured Zentraedi warships.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS: The ASS-1 had sufficient life support to
provide breathable air and comfortable temperatures for up to 70,000 people
for up to 20 years (air was recycled). In an emergency the life support
system could support up to 140,000 people at one time. The ship contained
enough food and water onboard to support the crew for up to 5 years (with
- LONG-RANGE TRACKING SENSORS: The ASS-1 command tower was equipped
with a complex sensor system that could track and identify up to 1,500 craft
simultaneously. The system had a 2,000 mile/3,200 km range.
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM: For FTL propulsion, the ASS-1 was equipped
with an fold system capable of propelling the ship through hyperspace at
speeds up to 3.28x10^10 mps (5.25x10^10 kmps), or 1 light year per 6 minutes.
The range of the fold drive is theoretically unlimited except by the life
expectancy of the spacecraft (which is unknown).
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES: As a backup to the Fold System, the ASS-1 was
equipped with impulse engines that could propel the craft at speeds up to 0.24
speed of light (38,400 miles per second) in space. Note that these engines
were mainly intended for rapid movement inside a planetary system and are not
suited for long voyages between star systems. In a planetary atmosphere the
ship is limited to speeds of Mach 2.0 maximum due to hull stress.
- SUBSPACE MASS SENSORS: As part of the ASS-1's sensor systems, the
fortress was equipped with subspace sensors that could essentially instantly
detect mass readings and movement of objects up to 1 AU (93 million miles)
distant from the carrier. Readings taken with the subspace sensors are not
very detailed (-25% penalty when trying to identify a detected object) and
cannot detect objects of less than 60,000 kg (this includes most Zentraedi and
UN Spacy mecha).
Unknown. The below numbers are estimates based on the assumption that
the Inspection Army used Zentraedi mecha for combat like most protoculture
military forces did. It is not known whether protocultures of the Inspection
Army themselves engaged in combat, and if so whether they used mecha or not.
- Regult Tactical Battle Pods: 600
- Regult Light Artillery Pods: 60
- Regult Heavy Artillery Pods: 30
- Regult Scout Recon Pods: 30
- Glaug Officer's Pods: 10
- Nousjadeul-Ger Powered Armor: 60
- Fighter Pods: 60
- Shuttles and Support Craft: 90
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- "Doe's All The Worlds' Starship Guide: SDF-01
- Super Dimensional Fortress Macross TV series
- Hobby Hand Book 1: Macross Model World